The safety and well-being of the children we serve is Big Brothers Big Sisters' highest priority . We strive to achieve the highest quality possible in matching a child to a caring volunteer Big, and in providing ongoing professional support services to our children, parents and volunteers .
To help ensure child safety, Big Brothers Big Sisters National Standards of Excellence require the following steps to be taken:
Each volunteer must complete a thorough screening process that includes :
- Completion of a formal written application
- A criminal history record check
- At least three references
- An in-person interview
- An assessment of their home environment (for community-based mentoring)
- A professional assessment of their appropriateness to volunteer with a child
- An orientation and training process that outlines the individualized needs of your child and provides information and resources on how to encourage your child's healthy development
Big Brothers Big Sisters also provides child safety tips to you and your child, and we welcome your questions and feedback. Throughout the life of the match, our professional staff will be in ongoing communication with you, your child, and your child's Big. Our staff and your child’s Big, with your support, are committed to the healthy growth and development of your child.